Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thesis statement

DEFINITION

thesis statement is a complete sentence
that contains one main idea.  This idea controls
the content of the entire essay.  A thesis
statement that contains subpoints also helps a
reader know how the essay will be organized.
Look at the introductory paragraph below.  See
if you can identify the thesis statement and
subpoints.


EXAMPLE OF THESIS STATEMENT
When I was young,I always knew that I wanted to become a teacher someday.
When played,would often gather my dolls together and pretend to teach them 
how to do math problems or how to read a book.As I grew older,my desire to 
become an ESL teacher became clearer as I did some volunteer teaching
overseas and in the United States.As I look back on my reasons for becoming 
a teacher,there are three reasons that stand out.They are my love for the 
English language,my innate interest in how people learn, and my desire to help
other people.

KEY FEATURES
  
  ü states the main idea of the essay in a complete 
     sentence, not in a question.

  
  ü   is usually at the end of an introduction
      
      ü   states an opinion or attitude on a topic. It doesn't just 
             state the topic,itself.

      ü   often lists subtopics.
   
  ü does not directly announce your main topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment